With a proposed 60% of the US Navy being repositioned in the Indo-Pacific by 2020, the US strategic “pivot” highlights the significant importance of the region. Australia’s unique position of a western nation positioned between both the Pacific and Indian oceans and also operating between major powers such as India, China, Russia and the United States will pose significant challenges.
While emerging nations such as Indonesia and Vietnam will create significant opportunities and disruptions to regional economies, the rise of the middle class and the maturation of regional militaries will make the Indo-Pacific a hot bed of activity in the coming years.
This congress will focus on the near to mid future up to 2030. The Kokoda Foundation will draw senior strategic thinkers from Government, Think Tanks and the Australian Defence Force to provide insight, provoke discussion and to encourage critical analysis of long held ideals.
Amongst other topics, the congress will seek to address:
• What is the Indo-Pacific and what is its history
• What is its future and which countries will be the influencers?
• What does the ADF’s Force 2030 look like and how will it operate in the region?
• What are the future border challenges and national security threats?
• How will the rise of Indonesia change the region?
The Future Strategic Leaders' Program gathers twice a year for a weekend-long Future Strategic Leaders' Congress.
The purposes of the Congress are to:
© Institute for Regional Security Ltd.
Promoting Regional Stability and Prosperity
© Institute for Regional